Intensified operations compel 6 more NPA members to yield in South Cotabato

Photo from Western Mindanao Command Facebook page

On the evening of January 13, 2021, six additional members of the Communist Terrorist Group surrendered to military forces in Lebak, Sultan Kudarat.

According to Lt. Gen. Corleto Vinluan, Jr., Commander of the Western Mindanao Command, the six NPA members, who are all residents of Barangay Ned, Lake Sebu, South Cotabato, and members of the Platoon West (Samsung), Guerilla Front Musa, Far South Mindanao Region (FSMR), surrendered to the 37th Infantry Battalion stationed in Barangay Tibpuan, Lebak, Sultan Kudarat at around 8 PM, Wednesday.

“The six were identified as Tener Mantang Maquil, a.k.a. Buyo-Buyo, a supply officer; Anamie Maquil Bal-ot, a.k.a. Lyn-Lyn, a medic; and four more members namely, Allan Mistibo Samblang, a.k.a. Caesar; Tyron Asom Saligan; Timbangan Ganang Maquil, a.k.a. Kilohan; and Mike Ganang Maquil, a.k.a. Arnold,” said Lt. Gen. Vinluan, Jr.

“They handed over one 7.62mm M14 rifle, two 9mm sub-machine guns, and two Cal. 357 revolvers,” the commander added.

During the initial debriefing, the surrendered individuals stated that they recognized they were wasting their lives for nothing. They are tired of engaging in armed conflicts against the government and want peace to reign in their hometown.

Lt. Col Allen Van Estrera, Commanding Officer of the 37IB, added that the successful surrender of the six communist terrorists was made possible by his unit’s collaborative efforts with the 38th Infantry Battalion and the 5th Special Forces Battalion.

“This is also attributed to the strong collaboration between the military and the barangay officials of Barangay Tibpuan particularly Mr. Sulpicio Bal-ot, the Barangay Tanod Team Leader,” said Lt. Col. Estrera.

Meanwhile, 603rd Infantry Brigade Commander Col. Eduardo Gubat stated that the six are currently undergoing custodial debriefing.

“Nonetheless, we welcome them back to the mainstream society and assure that they will be provided with the necessary assistance as they return to the fold of the law,” said Col. Gubat.

Maj. Gen. Juvymax Uy praised the troops in his letter for their efforts to persuade the terrorists to leave the battlefield and restore their lives.

“The intensified operations, whether focused combat operations or civil-military operations, continue to bring positive results. Rest assured that we will continue to double our efforts for the peace that we are all longing for,” Maj. Gen. Uy added.

Last year, 75 members of GF Musa surrendered to the troops in central Mindanao.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *