The outlawed Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) have been blamed by the military and local officials for an explosion at a town plaza in Datu Piang, Maguindanao on Saturday, September 18, 2021, that injured eight people.
“The improvised bomb used by the perpetrators were similar to those that were used by the BIFF,” said Lt. Col. John Paul Baldomar, speaking for the Army’s 6th Infantry Division, referring to the local terror group.
Backing up Baldomar’s claim that the BIFF was behind the attack, Mayor Victor Samama said that “there is no other lawless group staging terror attacks here but the BIFF.”
On Saturday, an improvised device was detonated during a volleyball game on the town’s covered court, injuring eight players and onlookers.
Norodin S Musa, 21; Fahad A Tato, 22; Samsudin D. Kadtugan, 21; Benzar Macogay, 24; Amid B. Miparanun, 19; Carlo Mobpon, 25; Mohamad Wanti, 29; and a 13-year-old boy were among those who were injured.
Due to critical shrapnel injuries, civilians and police took the wounded to Abpi-Samama Clinic and Hospital, with one being moved to Cotabato Regional and Medical Center in Cotabato City.
The volleyball games, according to Samama, were not arranged with the local government unit, and the organizers broke quarantine rules.
To avoid the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), the mayor has ordered local police to prohibit gatherings of people outside, including basketball and volleyball tournaments.
Samama was confident that the BIFF group responsible for Saturday’s bombing and those that harassed the town in December 2020 were the same.
A group of BIFF terrorists assaulted this town shortly before midnight on December 3 last year, burning a police car and firing at the police station. After an hour-long gun battle, local police officers heroically engaged the BIFF invaders and repulsed them.