In a Facebook post in the AFP Leadership Development Center, military historian CDR Mark Condeno PCG shared the United States military assistance and country’s weapons procurement under President Ramon del Fierro Magsaysay’s administration from December 30, 1953 to March 17, 1957.
President Magsaysay held the rank of Major in the Philippine Navy during World War II and later earned a Reserve Commission as a Lieutenant Commander. He is also one of the Philippine Marine Corps’ founding fathers.
Here are the weapons acquisitions and US military support under Magsaysay’s presidency, from 1953 to 1957.
- 25 M4A1 Sherman Medium Tanks
- 25 M3 105mm Howitzers
- 150 M101- 105mm Howitzers
Philippine Air Force
- 64 North American F51D Mustangs, largest delivery made by US in October 1954 of 50 aircraft under the US Mutual Defense Assistance Pact
- 40 North American T-6G Texan Trainers
- 13 Lockheed T-33 Thunderbirds- the arrival of these jets took the PAF into the Jet age
- 40 North American F-86F Sabre Jets, additional F-86s delivered during the time of…
- 10 Grumman SA-16 Albatross Amphibian Aircraft
- 6 PGM-9 Class Patrol Gunboats
- 2 US MSC-218 Class Minesweeper made specifically for the Philippines under the US Military Assistance Pact
- RPS Zambales (PM-55) on 15 February 1956 and RPS Zamboanga Del Norte (PM-56) on April 3, 1956. They are armed with 1x20mm Gun. A full load displacement of 375 Tons, a speed of 14knots and crew Compliment of 5 Officers and 34EM.
- Both Ships were decommissioned in 1979 with a total of 22 years each in service.
- The MSC’s played a pivotal role in keeping our sealanes open during the Coldwar,in support of Friendly forces during SEATO Exercises and Joint RP-US Bilateral Exercises and Naval Gunfire Support (NGFS)
- 1 Mark 6 Landing Craft Mechanized
- 2 Landing Craft Vehicle Personnel