Russia says it plans full control of Donbas and southern Ukraine – Interfax

Date:

Share post:

Russia plans to take full control of Donbas and southern Ukraine as part of the second phase of its military operation, the deputy commander of Russia’s central military district said on Friday, the Interfax news agency reported.

The commander, Rustam Minnekayev, was also cited as saying that Russia planned to forge a land corridor between Crimea, the Black Sea peninsula which Russia annexed in 2014, and Donbas in eastern Ukraine.

The last Ukrainian fighters left in the port city of Mariupol in Donbas are holed up at a vast industrial facility which President Vladimir Putin has ordered to be blockaded rather than stormed. Mariupol sits between areas held by Russian separatists and Crimea and its capture would allow Russia to link the two areas.

Minnekayev said taking control of southern Ukraine would improve Russian access to Moldova’s pro-Russian breakaway region of Transdniestria, which borders Ukraine and which Kyiv fears could be used as a launching pad for new attacks against it.

Kyiv earlier this month said that an airfield in the region was being prepared to receive aircraft and be used by Moscow to fly in Ukraine-bound troops, allegations Moldova’s defence ministry and authorities in Transdniestria denied.

“Control over the south of Ukraine is another way to Transdniestria, where there is also evidence that the Russian-speaking population is being oppressed,” TASS quoted Minnekayev as saying at a meeting in Russia’s central Sverdlovsk region.

Minnekayev was not cited as providing any evidence for or details of that alleged oppression.

Russia sent tens of thousands of troops into Ukraine on February 24 in what it called a special operation to degrade its southern neighbor’s military capabilities and root out people it called dangerous nationalists.

Ukrainian forces have mounted stiff resistance and the West has imposed sweeping sanctions on Russia in an effort to force it to withdraw its forces. — Reuters

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

spot_img

Related articles

Army, PNP seized arms cache in Tarlac

Based on a tip-off from a concerned citizen, a joint strike operation was conducted by the 3rd Mechanized...

36IB recovers communist terrorist leader’s cadaver, war materiel in Surigao del Sur

Army operating troops of the 36th Infantry "Valor" Battalion (36IB) under the operational control of the 4th Infantry...

AFP to build 3-storey military hospital in Quezon Province

The Armed Forces of the Philippines is set to improve health and medical services to its personnel with...

Philippine, Australian armies train side by side on urban ops

Around 500 Filipino and Australian troops continue to train side-by-side on urban operations during the more than two-month...